Fashion photography is that genre of photography, which devotes itself to displaying of clothing and various other fashion items. This type of photography is very often conducted for advertisements or fashion magazines. During its process of evolution, fashion photography has developed its own aesthetics in which the beauty and styles of fashion clothing and accessories are greatly enhanced by the use of exotic locations and story lines.
Nature of Work: Fashion photography is glamorous profession. It is a highly creative field that offers opportunity of great financial growth. Fashion photographers take pictures of models wearing clothes and accessories designed by various designers. These photographs are used in a variety of media including books, reports, advertisements, and fashion catalogues. This type of photography is done in studios as well as at outdoor locations. In addition to taking photographs, fashion photographers are also responsible for scouting location and hiring models and personnel for the photo shoots.
Scope for Employment: Professional fashion photographers are employed by catalogues, websites, magazines, and fashion houses to conceptualize, shoot, develop, and print still photographs/videos of clothing or accessories in a creative way so that they are successful in catching the attention of their potential customers. A fashion photographer can also gain employment with a retailer, fashion publication, fashion house, advertising company, or manufacturer of fashion clothing. Apart from all these, there is always a scope of opening one’s own studio.
Required Skills and Qualities: Having an eye for style and beauty is very important for a person aspiring to become a fashion photographer. One should also be having good communication skills, which will help in making and strengthening contacts with important people in the fashion industry including the designer and the models. It is also essential to have a thorough knowledge of cameras and the various technical aspects of photography such as light, distance, and perspective.
How to Go About It: Like all the other genres of photography, fashion photography also requires a lot of patience and never-say-die attitude. It would be better to begin as a freelancer or as an assistant to a senior photographer. You need to get recognition in this field to become successful. Working with a senior photographer will help you in getting experience and exposure, which are both very important for reaching the top. It is also very important to get a formal training in photography from any reputable institute or university. There are many such organizations offering diploma and certificate courses in photography.
Institutes Offering: Passion for photography is the basic thing that one needs to have in order to pursue a career in fashion photography. There are several institutes that are offering diploma and certificate courses in fashion photography. Provided below is a list of institutes offering courses in photography.
Degree Courses in Photography (B.A. Three-Year Integrated)
- Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar, Orissa
- Pune University, Fergusson College, Poona
Diploma Courses (One-Year Duration)
- Kashi Vidyapeeth, Varanasi-221002
- Ravishankar University, Raipur-492010
- Sri Venketeshwara University, Tirupati-517502
Other Important Institutes:
- International School of Photography, C-7/143, Safdarjung Development Area, Hauz Khas, New Delhi – 110016
- Academy of Photography, Kolkata
- Film and Television Institute of India. Law College Road, Pune – 411004 (Photography as a subsidiary subject)
- Film and Television Institute of Tamil Nadu, Chennai – 600113 (Photography as a subsidiary subject)
- Fergusson College, Pune (B.A. Degree Course in Photography)
- India International Photographic Council, 12, Modern School, Barakhamba Road, New Delhi – 110001
- MCRC, Jamia Millia Islamia, Jamia Nagar, New Delhi – 110025 (Photography as a subsidiary subject)
- National Institute of Design, Allahabad – 211002
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, E.M. Bypass Road, Kolkata – 700094 (Photography as a subsidiary subject)
- Southern Film Institute, Thiruvallam, Thiruvananthapuram (One-Year Certificate Course)
- St. Xavier’s Institute of Communication, St. Xavier’s College, Fort, Mumbai – 400001
Remuneration: There is no fixed structure of remuneration in the field of fashion photography and it differs from person to person depending upon the caliber of the person as a photographer. Usually, those fashion photographers who are employed with fashion houses or Ad agencies get salaries in the range of Rs. 6,000 to Rs. 9,000 per month in the beginning. Freelance fashion photographers can make very good earning to depending on their reputation.