West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education (WBCHSE)
West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education (WBCHSE) is an autonomous examining authority, which is responsible for conducting examinations for standard XII for both government and private schools affiliated to this board. It is responsible for improvement and promotion of education in the state. WBCHSE conducts the West Bengal Higher Secondary (Class 12) Examinations each year, for which more than 8 Lakh students appear across the state.
The major functions of the Council are to:
– assess periodically the Educational needs at higher secondary level at the state and lay down the General policy for the development of the Higher Secondary Education;
– provide for inspection of Recognised Institutions;
– provide by regulations, the curriculum, syllabus, the courses of studies to be followed and the books to be studied in Recognised Institutions;
– undertake the preparation, publication and sale of Text Books and other books for use in the Recognized Institutions;
– institute Higher Secondary Examination for the purposes of the Act;
– and to publish results of examination instituted by the Council and to award certificates and scholarship thereof;
– The Higher Secondary Course shall consist of two parts, i.e. Class XI and Class XII. The curriculum of Higher Secondary Course shall consist of
– Two language subjects one each from Group ‘A’ and Group ‘B’ of Schedule II
– Three compulsory elective subjects, one each to be chosen from any group
– One optional elective subject to be chosen from the groups remaining after the selection of compulsory elective subject.