How to Get Admission in Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)?
Established in 1969 by an act of Parliament, Jawaharlal Nehru University, also known as JNU is one of the leading universities of India. JNU is quite different from other universities in term of its education methodology & academic structure. It is one of the first universities in India to introduce the concept of inclusive entities called Schools under which are placed more specific units, called Centres. JNU’s 10 schools & 4 specialized centres offer various UG, PG & Ph.D. courses with multiple specializations under Arts, Science, and Commerce.
Many faculty members are the recipient of prominent national & international awards. JNU’s academic collaboration & MOUs with other renowned universities, its exchange programs for students & faculty make it a Global university.
Ranking & Awards: JNU is among the highly ranked university of India. NAAC (National Assessment & Accreditation Council) ranked JNU at number 3 among all universities in the country. Ministry of Human resource development, Government of India has ranked JNU at number 2 in 2017. In the same year, JNU was awarded the Best University award by the President of India.
Eligibility Criteria: Minimum eligibility criteria for applying to a UG course are passing of 10+2 exams from a recognized board. For PG courses, the minimum requirement is a bachelor’s degree with 60% marks.
Admission Application: The application can be made either online on the university website or offline. Application for admissions usually starts from the second week of March. Students seeking admission can apply till April second week. Fees are paid along with form submission. The entrance exam is held in May third week.
Documents Required: Candidates seeking admission to UG, PG & Ph.D. course can apply either online or offline. Below is the list of documents required to be enclosed with the application:-
- 10+2 (Senior School) Certificate: 2 self-attested copies
- 10+2 mark sheet: 2 self-attested copies of the
- Character Certificate from the last attended School/Institution
- SC/ST/OBC Certificate, if applicable.
- Original Migration Certificate from the last attended Institution/University.
- For PWD (Person with Disability) – Medical Certificate issued by the competent government medical authority certifying nature & percentage of disability.
Admission Process: JNU accepts admissions to its various courses based on below entrance exam conducted by it. This exam is conducted in May 3rd week every year at Kendriya Vidyalayas all across India. Duration of the exam is three hours which consists of one question paper.
- JNUEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Exam): For UG, PG, M.Phil & Ph.D. courses.
- JNUCEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Combined Entrance Exam): For MVSc, MSc Biotechnology, MSc (Agri) Biotechnology & M.Tech Biotechnology.
After the entrance exam, candidates are required to appear for a Viva-voce (wherever applicable). Weightage of 70% & 30% are allocated to written exam & Viva-voce respectively.
UG Courses Offered: Only one UG course B.A.(Hons) is offered by JNU. There are two admission modes.
- Regular mode: Admission in B.A. Hons (First year) is given based on the result of the entrance exam. No viva voce is required. Student intake is done at the beginning of the new session.
- Lateral Entry mode: As the name suggests, students are admitted after the end of the first year based on the result of entrance exam & Viva-voce. To qualify for viva-voca, candidates need to score below-mentioned minimum marks in the written exam.
– 25% (17.5 out of 70) for General.
– 22.50% (15.75 out of 70) for OBC.
– 15% (10.5 out of 70) for ST/SC/PH (Physical Handicap).
- Final Selection: Based on the overall score in written exam, viva-voce & deprivation points (if applicable), candidates are finally selected. Minimum qualifying marks are as follows:
– 30% (17.5 out of 70) for General.
– 27% (15.75 out of 70) for OBC.
– 25% (10.5 out of 70) for ST/SC/PH (Physical Handicap).
This course is offered with multiple language specialization options like Russian, Arabic, French, Spanish, Pashto, etc.
PG Courses Offered: Multiple postgraduate courses are offered by JNU. They are mentioned as below:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Science (M.Sc)
- Master of Arts (MA)
- Master of Computer Application (MCA)
Admission to the MBA Program:
- Eligibility Criteria: Candidates having Bachelor Degree with 60% marks & also qualified CAT are eligible to apply.
- Apply & Shortlisting: Candidates need to apply on JNU website with their CAT score. JNU shortlists the candidates based on CAT score.
- Interview round: Shortlisted candidate are called for an interview round.
- Final Selection: Based on CAT score & interview, the final section is done. CAT score & interview round holds weightage of 70% & 30% respectively.
JNU’s ABVSME (Atal Bihari Vajpayee School of Management & Entrepreneurship) governs the admission to this program.
Admission to M.Sc, MCA & MA Programs: Admission to these programs are granted based on the result of the entrance exam.
- Pre Ph.D-Ph.D
Admission to the above courses is granted based on the result of entrance exam & viva-voca. Candidates can apply either online or offline to the above courses by following the process mentioned above. There are various specializations available for all the above courses.
Reservation Policy: JNU has a reservation policy in place to provide equal opportunity & access to candidates of various castes.
· OBC: 27%
· SC: 15%
· ST: 7.5%
· PH: 3%
Foreign Students: JNU admits foreign students to its various courses under three different categories:
- Student & Cultural exchange program of Indian Government.
- Casual Students: Foreign students can be admitted as casual students. They are admitted to audit the course. However, no degree is awarded in this case.
- Self-financing students based on entrance exam & “in Absentia”.
Minimum eligibility criteria for foreign students are the same as applicable to Indian students. In addition to other required documents, foreign students need to submit the below also:-
- Minimum insurance of Rs. 1 Lac.
- Student’s Visa.
- Medical certificated prescribed by the Indian Government (if applicable)