How to Get Admission In Anna University?
Anna University named after the former Chief Minister, Late Dr. C. N. Annadurai was established in the year 1978 as a unitary type of University. It imparts higher education in the fields of Engineering, Architecture, Technology, and Applied Sciences according to the current and projected needs of the society. Apart from imparting high quality education, it also fosters cooperation between the academic and industrial communities. This University was formed integrating 4 well known technical institutions in Chennai (then Madras) and they are:
- College of Engineering (CEG) (Established in 1794)
- Madras Institute of Technology (MIT) (Established in 1949)
- School of Architecture & Planning (SAP) (Established in 1957)
- Alagappa College of Technology (ACT) (Established in 1944)
This University’s main campus is spread over 189 acres abutting the Adyar River on the North and Raj Bhavan on the South. The second campus MIT is spread over 52 acres of land and the third campus in Taramani is spread over5 acres of land. These campuses cater to the different needs of the University community. Apart from the above four university department campuses (CEG/MIT/ACT/SAP), Anna University also has 13 Constituent Colleges, 3 Regional Campuses at Tirunelveli, Madurai and Coimbatore and 593 affiliated colleges (Government, Government Aided and Self-Financing Colleges) in Tamil Nadu.
Anna University offers 29 UG and 90 PG Programmes in various disciplines in the four University departments and in Affiliated Institutions have 41 UG and 57 PG programmes. About 16007 students are pursuing degree programme in the University Departments and in the Affiliated Institutions about 7,21,276 students are doing their degree programme. Anna University is proud to have 14023 Ph.D. scholars on roll in Science, Engineering and Technology.
The University is recognized by the UGC as “University with Potential for Excellence” in the XII plan period. Quacquarelli Symonds has ranked Anna University as 201 in the World University Ranking. It has also achieved several accolades both national and international level.
Admission Time: Candidates should have passed in the qualifying examination i.e. Indian System of 10 + 2 or its equivalent (12 years of school education should be completed). The candidates should have scored an average of 50% in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry put together. The application will be available online from 1st of March every year and after the announcement of 12th results admission will be done.
Admission Application: Now with the digital age, the application to various UG and PG programmes can be submitted online with the scanned copy of all relevant documents including the passport size photograph of the candidate. But for courses like MBA, MCA, MS by Research and Ph.D., the application form should be submitted in the university only and cannot apply through online. All decisions related to seat allotment, counseling and fee payment are solely at the discretion of the Controller of Examination (COE). Students can also do their course through distance learning.
- Registration: For UG programmes you can register in tnea.ac.in with a registration fee of Rs 500/- (For SC/ST/PH – it is Rs 250/- and special reservation category it is Rs 100/-). The registration fee can be paid by way of credit card/debit card/net banking. If you want to pay by way of DD then it should be drawn in favour of The Secretary, TNEA Admissions, Anna University payable at Chennai. For PG programmes as given in the admission Process.
- College Selection: After registration, Students can select the college of their choice. Students should check the cut off (minimum qualifying percentage for admission) of the course, one wishes to apply for.
- Upload Documents: Documents required are
-Photo: Passport size
-Scanned signature of applicant
-Class 12th mark sheet
-Class 10th mark sheet
-Caste certificate issued by a competent authority.
-Sports &/or Extracurricular activity certificated, if applicable.
-Degree Certificate when applying for PG courses (if applicable)
- Documents Verification: The students can personally or can authorize someone to go for verification of the documents at the TNEA Facilitation Centre (TFC) allotted to them. The date and time will be informed by them.
Admission Process: Since it offers various UG and PG programmes, the students should get score well in the tests conducted by the University:
- For B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. should pass with merit in the Tamil Nadu Engineering Admission (tnea.ac.in)process which includes choice locking and final seat allotment. NATA candidates can also apply for B.Arch. Programme.
- For M.E./M.Tech/M.Arch/M.Plan/MBA/MCA – final admission is subject to Anna University Common Entrance Test (TANCET). For M.E./M.Tech students who have obtained good mark in GATE are eligible and need not have to do TANCET exams.
- Anna University conducts separate entrance test for M.Sc. and M.Phil. courses.
- For Ph.D. and MS by research, it offers admission twice a year. It will be based on the result of the written test which will be followed by a personal interview.
Admission will be done solely at the discretion of the Controller of Examination.
Foreign Students: For admission into B.E./B.Tech courses, the foreign candidate must have completed 12 years of schooling (which should be equivalent to 10+2 system of Indian Education). They must have studied and passed the exam with good grades as per the system of education followed there. They should have studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as one of their subjects in the qualifying examination. The students should have got a minimum of 50% each in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. They have to obtain valid student visa by the Indian embassies abroad. They also have to submit their medical fitness certificate in the prescribed format that will be given in the Anna University website. Once they are selected, they will be intimated about this and hostel accommodation, fees, etc. will be intimated. Mostly in December itself they will open the admission process for foreign students. However, the academic year starts from July/August of the academic year. Students should without fail report on the date and time specified to them and pays all the fees and takes up admission. In case, they couldn’t then their admission will be withdrawn.